Sunday, October 30, 2011

1 hour each and every day through 8 years




Couple of days ago it started. I got the sore throat and during the previous days it has gone worse. I have a flu and have to rest and stay inside, so it's a perfect time to look back and see what I have been doing and achieving within previous 365 days...

In the end of the last year I decided to list few objectives for this year 2011. The list was
  1. Paddle over 1000 km
  2. Visit at least 10 new lighthouses by kayak
  3. Accomplish 4 sport events at "Kalevan kierros"
  4. Run in a "Jukola" orienteering relay at Virolahti
  5. To become as a certified Paddling Guide authorized by Finnish Canoe Federation
  6. To become as a certified Rope Work Supervisor authorized by Finnish Climbing Association
  7. To become as a certified Rafting Guide authorized by Finnish Paddling and Rafting Federation
All of these goals were achieved, which was a bit surprising! As an extra bonus I even managed to paddle whole Finnish coastline, which wasn't originally planned. Coastline paddling has been promoted and originally invented by Finland's long distance paddlers and everyone who successfully paddles Finnish coastline during one season will be honored (list of all-time paddlers).



Over the last year I have been exercising on an average 1 hour and 20 minutes each and every day, which totals 509 hours. It's more than my average on a longer period. When I was curiously checking the average amount of time per day used for exercise during the last 8 years, I was amazed and shocked! Through the last 8 years I have been training on an average over 1 hour each and every day!!!



Next year's 365+ training hours are waiting and the countdown will start on Tuesday 1.11.11. Thanks for everybody who has been running/paddling/orienteering/cycling/swimming/skiing/trekking/... with me during these marvelous 8 years!



The year 2012 will be the 10th anniversary and so it will be something special. I remember 10 years back when I was in a such poor condition, I had to rest 2 days after I managed to walk 1 km! Since that there has been plenty of memorable moments from the cycling exercise in a cold rain at the beginning of May 2003, when I was just crying together with rain drops cause it felt so damn good to be alive and to be able to cycle. At the end of 2004 I was looking death into it's eyes in Andes, when spending night over 6000 m on a glacier without any camping gear and totally lost.


No comments:

Post a Comment