Saturday, May 14, 2011

Orienteering at amusement park



This was really a competition at home ground ! Sprint orienteering competition a few hundred meters away from my home at Särkänniemi amusement park. The environment was challenging and difficult due to non-symmetrical forms and shapes, high number of the information at the map and challenging route selection options. All in all the race was up- and downhill...

The first control point came fast and couldn't get smooth start. Didn't find it right away and missed some 5-6 seconds... The leg 1-2 went very well, I was pleased. Legs 2-3, 3-4 were pretty OK. Then 4-5 was a disaster due to wrong route selection, couldn't read the map correctly. Roughly 1 minute mistake.

From control point 5 to 12 it was pretty OK according to my orienteering skills, few small mistakes, but nothing huge. And then I totally missed control point 13, I was reading map from 12 to directly 14 and missed CP13. Disqualification ! The first DSQ ever for me at orienteering. The positive thing was that it didn't happen in the relay but in the personal race only.

1 comment: