Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Last one in Europe

It was the last one for me. Belarus. The only country in Europe, where I hadn't visited so far.

Welcome to cozy airport in Minsk

I mailed my VISA application to the Embassy of Belarus at Helsinki. Few days later I got it back via return mail without success. I had to change the application and didn't had too much time before the departure date. Therefore I was forced to travel to Helsinki and submit my application personally to embassy.

Fortunately I got my passport with Belarusian VISA couple of days before the flight to Minsk!

Broad avenues

The international airport of Minsk is not the most attractive and modern one. It's kind of relic from past Soviet times. Foreign visitors need to buy a travel insurance before entering the country. It was only 2 Euros for a short visit. When I had successfully bought insurance and passed passport control, I entered bare entrance hall and managed to exchange Belarusian rubles.

The bus from the airport to the center of Minsk was only 2 Euros instead of taking taxi and paying 30 Euros. The bus driver (and nobody else) didn't speak any English.

Orthodox church at the best place in town

Minsk is full of smokers and blondes. It seems to be some sort of fashion to tint hair from brown to white. Avenues are broad and buildings huge. Orthodox is present in everyday life. English is not spoken at all, you need to know some Russian...

Jere Karalahti was flying back to Finland in the same plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment